What is Natural Latex?
- Natural latex comes from the milky sap harvested from the rubber tree (HeveaBrasiliensis). Rubber trees allegedly originated in Brazil, but were planted across the globe and now are mainly found in the tropics of South East Asia and Africa.
- Rubber tappers strip a thin layer of bark off the tree to release the latex and collect it from cups. This latex is then processed to become a wide variety of products, from rubber tyres to latex mattresses.
- Rubber plantations are managed carefully to ensure consistent growth of new trees for output. This is important, because it can take around six years for a rubber tree to grow large enough to have its sap harvested (see reference 1). Note that each tree can live for 100 years (see reference 2).
- To tap a rubber tree, a collector will make a thin cut on the diagonal to remove a small piece of bark. This allows the sap (i.e. latex) to run out of the bark down the tree and this fluid is collected in a bucket. However, the flow will stop after about 6 hours, but the tree may be tapped again with a new cut the next day (see reference 1).
- Natural rubber is significantly more elastic than full synthetic or blended latex foam. This means it is able to stretch more without breaking. This elasticity is the basic foundation of what makes natural rubber so desirable. Natural rubber is better able to conform to body shape and is more resistant to compression, meaning it is more durable than synthetic or blended latex.
- Our product is made from the most precious gift from the nature. The 100% Natural Latex products give you the most unique experience.
- Only with this selfless gift of pure nature latex product, you can enjoy the best sleeping experience.
1. Craig Freudenrich, PhD. "How Rubber Works", How Stuff Works
2. "Rubber Tree (Heveabrasiliensis)" Rainforest Alliance
Our Latex Mattresses are made using the Dunlop Process.
There are special plantations where the plants are grown from which subsequently obtained latex milk. Natural Latex is a milky substance harvested from rubber tree plants (Heveabrasiliensis) which are grown in tropical climate plantations around the world. Collection is carried out mainly at night or very early in the morning. The resulting raw material immediately sent to storage. To the upcoming production was qualitative, the latex milk is purified and remove excess moisture.
With the Dunlop Process, the latex formulation is mixed continuously with compressed air in order to create foam. Once the latex foam has the right density, minuscule air bubbles are mixed into it. In this way, air is infused into the compound resulting in an open cell structure. It is these open structures that gives the pillow and mattress the required air circulation and guarantee an agreeable temperature in bed.
Once the latex foam is ready, a robot spread it into a mould which incorporates pin core holes to define the pattern of the mattress comfort zones. The filled moulds are then vulcanize, in other words baked. The comfort patterns of the mattress are defined by the pin core structure in the mould, bigger pins make bigger holes in the core and the mattress feels softer. The adapted firmness of the different zones ensures perfect lying comfort.
After the vulcanization step, the fresh latex core is then taken out of the mould and thoroughly washed.
Future framework for pillows and mattresses are sent to the drying process in the machine. Here latex finally hardens, and excess moisture is eliminated from the foam by blowing strong air flow.
Each pillow and mattress core is tested and examined individually to measure the hardness, the density and is reviewed for visual perfection. Once the product has been rigorously checked for its quality, it then goes to the automated warehouse where it is packed and stored.
The latex products are certified by different independent international organizations (German Research Center for Environmental ECO Institute for Quality Control of furniture LGA)and carry several quality certificates. These certificates give customers and users the guarantee that every latex mattress is synonymous with exceptional comfort and safety.